Monday, July 14, 2008

My daughter's first campout

Sierra turned 5 this past Saturday and my desire was to do something really special for her that would create lasting memories instead of just giving her more "toys" or thing that she would forget very easily, so I decided to take her tent camping which is a big passion of mine. I was a little unsure of how she would do, so I put in some extra prayer for patience and tolerance and tried to not have too high of expectations.

As it turns out we had a grand time and she hasn't stopped talking about it. I took her down to Skyview Ranch where I worked in college and we had a great time swimming in the lake. Anybody who knows me, knows how much I love Skyview so I was very excited to be taking her there and sharing that experience with her. After swimming and enjoying the lake that wasn't there 10 years ago, I put on my pack, put hers on






and we were off on our "hike" out to the Oats Field.










After hiking to the far edge of the property and set up our tent and built a fire...



We had to hike down to the creek to filter some water for dinner and we had to walk through the field with the horses. I was a little scared, because 12 years ago, when I had my junior campers in the Oats Field on a campout, they let the horses out into that field and I woke up to a voice whispering "counselor we have trouble" and looked up to see about 8 of campers with horses straddling or standing in close proximity to their sleeping bags. This time, I felt pretty comfortable because we were in the upper field and had a tent. Our gourmet camp meal was Kraft Easy Mac over my whisperlite camp stove and hot dogs over the fire followed of course by the traditional camp dessert S'mores















After dinner, we read some of our favorite nature books followed by our all time favorite book "My Daddy and I" We sang some songs... "My God is so Big" and "Lord of all Creation" and captured these amazing pictures. Sierra even took the one of me all by herself.

















Sierra thought it was really cool to use a groundhog hole to go to the bathroom in and found it funny that we "burned" the toilet paper with a match to 'leave no trace' and we finally went into the tent about 9:30 and after a little trouble (she didn't have a pillow and a nose thing) and Dad accidentally rolling over on "Clarabelle" (her imaginary friend) she fell asleep about 10:15 and woke up only once in the night and then at 5:30. At 5:30 I just looked at her and said "No, you go back to sleep" she did for about another hour. We had some granola bars and fruit leather and tore down camp and then read some creation Psalms before hiking back to enjoy some Saturday morning Skyview Ranch cinnamon rolls for breakfast. We finished off our adventure by enjoying the petting farm and canoeing in the lake and touring the old barn because it sounds like it might be getting torn down.

This was a trip that created a ton of memories for me and hopefully her and one that I will always treasure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous present for your big girl! You said at the end, it was a great memory for you and "hopefully for her." James, I don't think you'll ever know how sweet a treasure this will be to her. I had a daddy who treated me the same way, and I know how much it has affected my sense of self and my life in general. I'm not trying to get all rambly and emotional (especially not in such a public forum), I just thought you should know that you did a very special thing for Sierra, convincing her she's worth your time. I hope you keep up the good work and see the fruit of what a wonderful daddy can do for his daughter's understanding of her Heavenly Father.

Allison Thompson :o)

jubilee said...

Wow. What a great daddy you are. I got all teary thinking of Skyview and all the memories and how much fun it must've been for your little girl.

Come visit my blog sometime
http://www.notesofjubilee.com